Friday, 6 January 2012

Before we get started

AppId is over the quota

Blog posts basic horse training 003 Small Before we get startedBefore I start in on some of the endurance horse training basics, I thought I should first go over some of the things that you will need and cover the importance of safety.

While many of the basic training lessons that I am going to cover are what I consider basic for a horse, they may not be basic for the rider or owner.  Some horses may require a more experienced hand to get through some of these lessons, at least initially.

It is always a good idea to seek out the help of an experienced trainer or horseman, especially if some of these topics covered are something that you do not have experience with.  I don’t want anybody to get hurt, and let’s face it – horses can be dangerous!

Here is a list of items that you’ll need to get through the first few lessons.

Hobbles.  There are many types – I have pictured here a set of hobbles that are sheepskin lined, and another set that are made out of nylon.  For training purposes, either will work.Gloves.  Always wear gloves for protection when working with horses.  Even if you just stumble and fall, it only takes a few inches of line to get pulled through your hand to cause a nasty rope burn.Lead rope.  I prefer cotton, they cause less severe rope burns should you or your horse ever have the misfortune to get one.Halter or neck collar.  If your horse has never used a neck collar, stick with a halter.  Or, use a neck collar to do reinforcement training and be sure that your horse will be safe in one.Longe line.

blog photos basic horse training 180 Small 300x168 Before we get startedAs far as an area to use to do this work – most any safely fenced enclosure will do.  You want to be able to separate yourself and your horse from others.  A round pen is ideal, however if you don’t have one a large fenced area (1 acre or less preferred) will also work.  Solid fencing is also best – pipe fencing, wood, etc. is much better than wire or something flimsy.  If you don’t have a safe enclosed area to use, see if one of our neighbors has one that you can borrow or consider trailering to one.

When working with horses, always be prepared for situations to occur that you may not have planned on.  Keep a cell phone or wireless home phone as close by as possible (so long as they’ll work) and make sure you are not entirely alone.  I’ve been fortunate with all of the young horses I have trained to have never had a situation occur where a horse or human got hurt doing any of these lessons.  However, the opportunity exists and you can’t be too careful.   Some horses may react more strongly than others.

In my experience, the Arabians I have worked with have been the least reactive and fastest to learn compared to some other breeds.  No matter what breed or type of horse you are working with, don’t be lulled into the false sense of “this horse is super calm” security and let your guard down.  They are all capable of over-reacting and/or getting out of control.  This is why some of these training basics can be so important.  You’ll learn how your horse reacts, and at the same time your horse will become safer to take out in public.

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment